Thursday, December 5, 2013

My thoughts

Ms. Merana Kitione journalist and mentor with Ms. Shahani Mala student journalist

By Shahani Mala, journalism student at FNU

"Being part of the 9th Pacific Islands Conference on Nature Conservation and Protected Areas has been one of the most interesting moments of my life. At this conference, I am learning about environmental issues and how to report on these issues. Apart from this, I have learnt about solutions to problems which Pacific Island countries are going through. It is interesting to see people from different countries gather to discuss issues on nature conservation and share the work they are doing in order to protect their islands’ biodiversity. I’ve also enjoyed talking to and meeting different people from the Pacific. I’m learning a lot and it is these experiences that I can share with other people and apply these learnings in my life."

Shahani  Mala  is a member of the Media Team providing coverage of the 9th Pacific Islands Conference on Nature Conservation and Protected Areas from 2 to 6 December in Suva, Fiji.  This is a partnership between the Fiji National University (FNU), University of the South Pacific (USP), SPREP and Pacific Islands News Association (PINA) whereby a team of 10 journalism students are mentored by senior reporters as they cover the conference.  This activity is  funded by the Pacific Assistance Media Scheme (PACMAS).

No comments:

Post a Comment